Saturday, January 7, 2012

Pumpkinapalooza!!

I love pumpkin. I love savory pumpkin, I love sweet pumpkin, I love pumpkin in Thai, Japanese, Mexican, Italian, etc food. I can pretty much use it in anything. That being said… I think I'm getting sick of the stuff. You see, at Halloween I bought a large jack-o-lantern pumpkin (along with sugar pumpkins that were immediately used up) with the intention of carving it into a Wheatley core from the game Portal 2. (Wheatley is also the name of my cat) Well, October passed… But November is still a pumpkin month! I can carve a turkey! …November passed. A could carve a christmas tree into the pumpkin! …Well, now its January and it was time to remove the pumpkin from my counter. But I couldn't just throw it away. It's a delicious pumpkin! So I cut it open and much to my surprise (okay, childlike delight) the insides were still good and exactly the texture of spaghetti squash. If you've never had a spaghetti squash before, please buy one now. Steam or bake it, just cook it, put some butter on it and maybe some cinnamon and enjoy the fuck out of a severely underrated vegetable. So yes, I had spaghetti pumpkin. Approximately ten pounds of pumpkin, to be exact.


Since the new year I have made the following:


- Singapore noodle style pumpkin

- Sage and brown butter pumpkin with mushrooms and parmesan

- Kimchee pumpkin with walnuts and carrots

- Pumpkin quiche with spinach and leek

- Indian spiced soybeans with pumpkin


And I still have a gallon sized ziplock bag filled with pumpkin in my fridge. I could make a soup, but prior to the holidays I went on a giant soup binge and now I'm rather souped out….


I could make muffins and send them to work. (Ooh… I might do that, actually…)


Anyway, I have a lot of pumpkin right now, which might just make me not want any more of the stuff until the next October rolls around…


So riddle me this, Batman: what are your favorite pumpkin recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment