Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Gift of Ragù


Today's plans have been put on hold due to a massive fucking headache. I'm trying to not call it a migraine, despite the fact standing up makes my head rush so hard I feel like I'm going to black out and I'm kinda nauseous... Which sucks because this weekend is my mom's b-day celebration and there was much planned.

For starters, I made pasta dough last night (tipo 00 flour- only three dollars from an italian market! and eggs - two dollars from a farmers market for 24 eggs!) I need to send it through the machine today and make up a ragù bolognese sauce I have mulling about in my brain...

Minced pork (loin)(will grind myself so I know what I'm getting and slabs of meat are cheaper at costco)
Minced sofrito (onion/celery/carrot- although debating if I should sub leek for celery)
Milk (an italian method to cook meat in milk for extra tenderness... I wanna try it)
Olive oil/butter (haven't decided, probably olive oil)
Half bottle of white wine (probably charddonay... cheap charddonay)
Crushed aleppo pepper (which I'd have to go to Penzy's spices to get, which I don't see happening now...)(so I guess normal red crushed pepper)
Paprika (to sub for aleppo flavor)
Fennel pollen (I grew fennel this summer specifically to harvest the pollen... don't look at me like that!)
Black pepper
Tomato puree (Would like to use fresh from a garden, otherwise a can)

I'm pretty sure it's going to work... I just need to get my brain to stop trying to ooze out of my ears. As for those frugal recipes... I'm still eating that tortilla soup, but it's still next on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment